How many UNT students are affected by the crisis?
- Approximately 1,400 on-campus student employees were displaced this semester. This does not account for the countless students who have lost off-campus jobs or whose families are losing income due to the numerous shutdowns related to COVID-19.
- Between the Mean Green Family Facebook page and the UNT Parent and Family Hotline, we are hearing from even more students and parents who are clearly in financial distress and are asking for refunds/prorates on tuition, parking permits, housing, dining and other fees.
- From an enrollment perspective, our housing and orientation numbers are currently down (after being up before the crisis). We believe families are hesitant to spend any money during these uncertain times.
How do students apply for crisis funding?
- Students can apply for emergency funding by completing the application located at the bottom of UNT’s Start Green Stay Green web page.
What needs can be funded?
- Any immediate need a student has due to the spread of COVID-19.
- Examples include health, living and educational expenses.
How much funding will they receive?
- The average award will be between $100 and $1,000, relative to available funding. Awards will be determined on a case-by-case basis and relative to available funding at the time of the request.
Who selects which students will receive funding?
- An Emergency Response Team consisting of representatives from Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, the Division of Student Affairs and the Office of the President will review requests.
If approved, when will students receive their funding?
- Roughly a week, but UNT’s Division of Students Affairs is working to shorten this timeframe.
Will all gifts to the UNT Cares fund be given to students? How will students receive funding?
- 100% of donations to the UNT Cares fund will be dispersed to students with immediate and pressing needs.
- Funds will be applied to the student’s UNT account or may come to the students in the form of a refund or a payment against an existing balance. There may be many different scenarios.
How do I donate to help students?
- Make a gift to UNT Cares.
For additional information, contact UNTCares@unt.edu.